Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"is school over yet?" which leads to important decisions 4/23/2012

I have repeatedly got the question lately is school over yet? and my brain, not my mouth,immediately replies not till at least your mid 20s! I have a  real issue with this want for school to be "over". Learning should not have stop and start dates; should it? I've thought a lot about this lately and have decided to tackle next year in a whole different way. We are going to do year long school with 2 week breaks through out.  My train of thought here is kids don't enjoy summer break by the end of it anyway! They are complaining of being board and having nothing to do so why not have breaks scheduled in so learning doesn't get stressful, boring, monotonous even. The entire point of homeschooling was we disagreed with the way public schools do things so I ask myself why am I trying so hard to do things the same way they do....ya it doesn't make sense to me either now that I think about it.Wish me luck! I hope I'm right.
 Anyway past my ranting we covered our basic school day: language arts lesson 3.11 contractions with am,is,are. I truly don't know how to make this class more exciting for him :/ The spectrum program is great he is learning the parts of speech, word usage, and capitalization he just would rather not! I suppose we all have a subject we are not fond of.
 Spelling: new word list
bath
math
moth
sloth
breath
mouth
path
cloth
tooth
death
month
hour     he got 10/16 today not bad for a Monday :)

math: we are trying our timed math drills again but with 50 problems not 100 and daddy suggested setting a timer for 25min. and let him start (it's the pressure that gets him) which has worked well he is getting 5-8 min. instead of 12-16. Way to go daddy :) Also doing the exercises in his book which consists of graphs and charts right now.
 social studies: we are reading O,Say Can You See? America's symbols,landmarks and inspiring words bySheila Keenan, illustrated by Ann Boyajian  oh-say-can-you-see .   

No comments:

Post a Comment